Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Brimful of Asha...a story of generational divide


Last week, my sister surprised me with tickets to the Tarragon Theatre play, A Brimful of Asha.  Ever since I read about it in the 2011/12 season handbook, I knew I wanted to see this play, but when I went to look for tickets, they were all sold out.  I was so bummed that I was going to miss the chance to see Asha, but when I got the call from my big sis, I was more than excited!!



Before the play started, we were greeted by the stars of the play, real-life mother and son, Asha and Ravi Jain.  We were welcomed into their home, chatted with them and even had a tasty samosa to start.  The atmosphere in the theatre was alive with energy; and this set the tone for what turned out to be an incredible night filled with fun and more laughter than I ever imagined.   

Asha and Ravi asked the audience to help solve a dispute...and who doesn't want to be a problem solver?!  So, with an intent audience, we were taken back to 2007.  Ravi had decided to take a trip to India for some acting workshops and to explore the country...a great opportunity to do what he loves; act.  Knowing that he was taking this trip, his mother saw this as an opportunity to introduce her son to some potential brides...and this is where the story of generational and cultural differences within one family begins.    



Throughout the play, Ravi and Asha explained the not-so-unfamiliar terms of a bio-data (think resume...but for the purpose of marriage) and the steps one takes to have an arranged marriage.  Asha put it best when she said, 'marriage is not just between the two people getting married, but marriage is a union of two families,' and as the words were coming out of her mouth, I could just picture my own mother sitting at that kitchen table, saying the same thing to me. I mean, it makes sense right?  Your child goes back to the motherland, so obviously that means your parents need to look for a suitable partner, right?  Um...WRONG.  But this is why the play worked so well, it showcases a cultural divide that so many of us deal with.  

My parents grew up in Iraq but I was raised in Canada and have a COMPLETELY different view on marriage and how I want to go about meeting someone.  There were so many parts of the play that reminded me of my own struggles with my family.  In fact, I could have easily pictured my own mom sitting in Asha's seat the entire time.  Everything she said; the logic behind why she wants her 32 year old son to settle down and get married and the way she wants to go about it...I swear it was like they were telling my story.

As the night went on, Asha and Ravi told both sides of the story and at the end of the play, the audience had a decision to make.  Team Asha or Team Ravi.  Clearly, I was team Ravi all the way, but my own sister (someone who was also raised in Canada by the way) was team Asha.  She agreed with her logic and is pushing me to get married...perhaps not to the extreme of going to Iraq to meet someone, but still.  I mean, I had to remind her that she is in a 'love marriage' and not an arranged one, so she was not allowed to be on Team Asha.  By the way, I feel strange using the term 'love marriage,' I mean the 'love' part should go without saying...but with arranged marriages, I've been told that will come later.      

Seeing the cultural divide and generational differences between this mother and son reminded me of my own family and I'm sure many more felt the same way.  I was so unbelievably happy to see this play...I only wish my mother came along with us...it would have been like looking in a mirror for her.  

I discovered the Tarragon Theatre last year and have been lucky enough to go see several plays now and I have to say, A Brimful of Asha has been my favourite.  If you saw A Brimful of Asha, I would love to hear what you thought of it!

xo,
Noor  



2 comments:

  1. Aww Noor, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the play. We have MUCHO to catch up on... but let's just say for now that I really enjoyed the play, much more than I thought I had expected to. I could relate in more ways than one and felt like I could do my own version of the play afterwards lol. Can't wait to see you at our upcoming blogger meetup, whenever that happens :)

    xo Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Christine! It definitely is a play that transcends different cultures and families. I hear it's coming back in November which makes me excited. We definitely have lots to catch up on and I can't wait. It's been too long since we've been back-to-back.

    xo Noor

    ReplyDelete